Masa-Crusted Tilapia with Red Cabbage Slaw
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- Crisco® Pure Corn Oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup corn masa flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 4 (5 to 6 oz.) skinless tilapia fillets or other mild white fish
- 1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 cups jicama peeled and cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size pieces thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick-size pieces
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1/2 cup prepared coleslaw dressing
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- HEAT 2 to 3 inches corn oil in deep-fryer (375°F) or 4-quart saucepan. Heat oven to 175°F.
- For breading: MIX masa flour, salt, oregano and cayenne to taste, in shallow bowl. Dip fish in flour mixture to coat. Fry 2 pieces of fish at a time for 3 to 4 minutes, or until light golden brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining fish. Serve immediately or keep warm in preheated oven.
- For coleslaw: COMBINE cabbage, jicama, red bell pepper, carrots, green onions, coleslaw dressing and lime juice in a medium bowl. Toss to coat.